When I was at the HEAV Convention in June, I had the privilege to meet Josh Denhert, founder of KidMin Science. Josh, father of four kiddos, was formerly a high school science teacher, later a youth ministry leader, and currently the creator of multiple Science VBS programs, ministry training videos, and now Science Devotions for at home use!
Josh gave me a packet filled with six months worth of Science Devotions supplies so that we could try it out and share our experience with you. We’ve completed one month’s worth of materials and can’t wait to try out the next five!
Science Devotions Packet
Science Devotions are a series of six experiments that are designed to teach a gospel lesson through science observation. When you purchase a kit, Josh will send you all the special materials needed for six months of activities. The rest of the material will arrive digitally as you need it. This is what you’ll get each month:
- Week 1: Science Devotional – a science project that illustrates a gospel concept. Your kit will include all of the unique materials you’ll need and you just have to gather the basics. At the beginning of the first week, Josh will send you a detailed email. It includes complete instructions, demonstration videos, printable PDFs including the memory verse of the month, and even a song video!
- Week 2: Parent Recharge Video – the second week of the month, you’ll receive an encouraging update from Josh with some helpful ideas for thinking about and sharing big truths with little people.
- Week 3: Science Project – this project is a just-for-fun hands-on activity to complete with your kiddos. At the beginning of the week, you’ll receive another email with all of the instructions, demo videos and printables you’ll need!
- Week 4: Parent Recharge Video – another video just for parents as you wrap up the month and prepare for the next month’s theme.
A Sneak Peek
Want to see the Science Devotion and Science Project we did this month? I bet you would!
Science Devotional: “Are You Covered”?
The monthly themes for the Science Devotions at Home are similar to the daily themes of one of Josh’s VBS Programs: Basic Elements. If you’d like to know what topic and verse will be covered each month, you can look at the outline for that program to see five of the word, verse, and project combinations. I’m eager to see what he’s got planned for month six as the VBS program is a series of five topics, while the Science Devotions at Home will be a series of six!
This month’s topic is “Believe” and the devotion is based on the following verses:
- Romans 3:23
- 1 Peter 1:2
- 1 John 5:11-12 (Month 1 memory verse)
For our project, we got to play with food coloring, and sand, including the “magic” hydrophobic sand enclosed in the supply kit Josh put together for us!
Regular Sand vs Hydrophobic Sand. A science lesson and a gospel illustration!
Waiting to see what will happen when we add them to the food-coloring-filled water!
So, what happened? And how did it illustrate a truth of the gospel? Well, now, that would be telling, wouldn’t it? You’ll have to check out the project for yourself! But in the mean time, I’ll leave you a few hints for when you get to this activity for your family.
Here are a few things I learned along the way:
- The video Josh created was really helpful to give me an idea of what I could expect in the project. Also, watching ahead of time will give you an even more specific idea of the types and quantities of materials you’ll need.
- If you have trouble finding sand, check the fish section of your local pet store. While you’re there, visit the animals and count it as a field trip!
Science Project: Pop-Top Fly High Rockets!
The third week of each month, we’ll be completing a fun science project. Instructions and demonstration video arrived in my email and all I had to do was collected the needed supplies. This month, we created rockets!
Coloring the printable template that came with the project email.
Ruth’s custom-designed rocket!
The whole line-up, ready for launch.
First rocket, fueled and about to go!
So, what happened? Nope! No spoilers!! Try it for yourself at home. You might be even more excited about it than the kids!!
When you get to this project, here are a few tips to remember:
- Having trouble finding film canisters? We did, too! But don’t worry – Amazon has them!
- Once you cut out the fins for your rocket, you might want to color the backs of them, too. We realized later that the backs of the fins would also show on our finished rockets.
- You’ll want to experiment with the ratios of materials you put into your rocket. We found the perfect blend!
Want to get in on the fun? You can purchase Science Devotionals at Home here. You can order a single pack for your family, or purchase multiples (team up with other church families!) and save. Josh will mail you a kit with all of the unique items you’ll need, and then you can keep an eye on your email for the necessary instructions each week.
Besides the Science Devotionals at Home, you may also want to look into …
- KidMin’s three Science-Based VBS programs: Faith Lab, Basic Elements, and Elements of Trust.
- The Amazing Chemistry Show: hire Josh to come to your church or school for a fascinating program including science and character lessons.
- Science T-Shirts: Which chemical compound are you? Adrenaline (“I am Wired”) Capsaicin (“I am Spicy”) Sucrose (“I am Sweet”) or TNT (“I am Powerful”)!
You can also find Josh and KidMin Science on …
Plus, check out some of these cool videos of Josh on television news demonstrating his enthusiasm for science exploration!